Residents/Fellows in Training
The Alabama Chapter-American Academy of Pediatrics (AL-AAP) is not only the professional home of practicing pediatricians across Alabama, but also the best place for pediatric residents and fellows in training from the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the University of South Alabama to take important first steps in developing career-long bonds with fellow pediatricians and professional habits to build their journey as pediatricians.
Below are some ways that the AL-AAP is working with and for members in training, as well as resources and helpful links.
How members in training benefit from membership in the Alabama Chapter-AAP
- Waived meeting registration fees to the two annual conferences (Spring & Fall). Click here to register for our next meeting, set for May 4 - 7, 2017 in Destin, FL
- Important connections to practicing pediatricians
- AL-AAP Pediatric Resident Elective Rotation Catalog. Find out more about practices in the state willing to host residents for elective rotations.
- Career days. The AL-AAP conducts a day-long career day for USA 2nd year residents every Spring and has participated in UAB's similar event in the past.
- Advocacy Sessions. Chapter leaders provide education to residents on advocacy and AAP involvement. For example, Cason Benton, MD, FAAP, is meeting with every intern at UAB during their Injury/Advocacy month.
- Assistance with CATCH (Community Access to Child Health) grant applications. CATCH grant opportunities from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) are announced two times a year.
- Advocacy Opportunities
- Annual Legislative Day each Spring in Montgomery at Alabama State House
- Opportunities to attend AAP Legislative Conference & Medical Association Government Affairs Conference
- Involvement in Chapter-driven advocacy initiatives, such as the 2016 #IAmMedicaid social media campaign
- Opportunity to exhibit at AL-AAP conferences to showcase resident projects.
- All of the general benefits of Chapter membership.
- Alabama Chapter-AAP One-Page Info Sheet for Residents
- Chapter meeting dates/registration
- AL-AAP Pediatric Resident Elective Rotation Catalog
- Advocacy Resources - a "How to"
AAP National Links
- AAP Mentorship Program
- CATCH grants for residents (Up to $2,000)
- Section on Pediatric Trainees (SOPT)
- SOPT leadership opportunities
- SOPT National Conference & Exhibition Program information
- SOPT District X (includes Alabama) Contact Information & Newsletter
Want to get more involved?
Click here to let us know your passion!
Are you connected to the Chapter via social media? Connect now and share ideas in our online community.
The Chapter is looking for a resident from each program to serve as an "Admin" for our Facebook page, in order to share important pediatric news with members across the state. Is this your cup of tea? Email Chapter Executive Linda Lee, APR, and let her know!