Help Me Grow Alabama
What is Help Me Grow?
For several years, the Alabama Chapter-American Academy of Pediatrics and Reach Out and Read-Alabama have partnered with the Alabama Partnership for Children on Help Me Grow (HMG) Alabama, part of the national HMG National Network. HMG is a proven model supporting children's optimal development by linking both families and providers to community-based programs and services. HMG Alabama provides the critical service of identifying concerns early, when interventions are less costly and more effective.
The Chapter, most recently through the Alabama Child Health Improvement Alliance, has worked through HMG to provide follow-up and care coordination support for pediatricians who participated in our developmental screening quality improvement collaboratives in Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. Concurrently, Reach Out and Read-Alabama was promoted and supported through this effort with the participating practices in those counties.
Started by Dr. Paul Dworkin, Physician-in-Chief at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. Help Me Grow offers:
- Referrals to cross-sector resources, such as early intervention agencies, adaptive activities, family therapy, behavioral issues, parenting classes, etc.
- Universal administration of developmental screenings for children age 0-5.
- Personalized care coordination, including follow-up, to support families as they connect to resources geared to answer their needs.
- Answers to parenting questions families don’t know what to do about.
How can Help Me Grow benefit your practice?
Thanks to new funding in 2015-2016, families in every county in Alabama can dial 2-1-1, speak with a HMG care coordinator who can answer questions, connect them to services, follow up to ensure a connection is made and enroll them in developmental surveillance. HMG Care Coordinators are partnering with Reach Out and Read-Alabama and will begin reaching out to practices in each of the nine regions to visit and share how HMG services can benefit their practice in the following ways:
- Save you time! HMG stays up to date with community resources so you spend your time working with patients.
- Follow up with families to make sure services are utilized.
- Benefit from additional care coordination. Help your patients navigate resources beyond the walls of your practice, and receive updates on their progress.
- HMG can provide ASQ surveillance by sending patients who need to be monitored between well-baby checks follow-up ASQ’s and, with the permission of the parent, send you the results.
- Support your Maintenance of Certification (MOC).
- Help your families become educated, responsible and self-reliant.
- For those practices and clinics with a Reach Out and Read-Alabama program, Help Me Grow Care Coordinators can provide assistance with programmatic activities throughout the year.
Hear from your peer: "Online system and Help Me Grow transforming developmental screening & referrals" by Bruce Petitt, MD, FAAP, of West Alabama Pediatrics.
Interested in getting a visit from a HMG Coordinator to get started?
If you are interested in learning more about Help Me Grow Alabama, please email Katie Naman, visit the Help Me Grow website, dial 2-1-1 to get connected to your regional care coordinator, or make contact using the emails at right.
Video Resources for Pediatricians
Help Me Grow Coordinators
Email | 256-764-5892, ext. 106
Email | 256-705-6768
Email | 205-348-4026
Email | 205-458-2070
Email | 256-547-2581
Email | 334-264-3335
Email | 334-745-5540, ext. 12
Email | 251-431-5100
Email | 334-836-1963
Help Me Grow Alabama is a program of the Alabama Partnership for Children and is funded by the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education through the Preschool Development Grant and by the Alabama Department of Mental Health through a Project LAUNCH Grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Association.